What an amazing day we had today. I love Sundays. I love the children we teach during Sunday School (Christian's class). I love the friends we get to see. I love the fact that though we are all sinners we are there together to seek the Lord and learn from Him how to live like Him. I love the preaching.
Today Bro. Greg didn't just preach....he PREACHED! Both Sun. am and Sun. night he shared a message that I feel was meant just for me. God laid it on my heart to share the message from this morning and since then I learned that my preacher actually reads this blog. So I hope I do o.k.! The pressure is on! I would like to share a little of the sermon from this morning because it put me at peace with the changing climate in our country. It reminded me of things I had failed to remember. With the election just around the corner Bro. Greg talked about the state of America and helped us to realize that the Lord will put in office who He wants in office. We love this country and pray for this country but we are aliens in this country. Our home is not here. He spoke from Hebrews 11:8-10. Abraham lived in a foreign land...when in a foreign land that you don't expect to become your home DON'T UNPACK. Don't act like this is your home. Abraham was looking for the city built of God (vs. 10). We do live in America but we are citizens of two kingdoms, America and God's kingdom. And one of those takes priority over the other. Bro. Greg stated, "if America means more to you than your eternal home then you're not much of a Christian".
God has made our country a very prosperous nation. It's hard to be prosperous and needy at the same time. We have to use these times of crisis in our country to realize where our need is. We need the Lord. We need Him and He knows that. But do we know that yet?? These are scary times. But like Bro. Greg said (note: this comment received loud amens and a thunderous applause in a So. Baptist church!) "They can have my retirement account. They can have my freedom. They can have my life. But they cannot have my Home!" Our home is not here. I will trust in Him to help me to get through this life and into the eternal home that He is building for me.
O.K. so after a full day of preaching and church we headed for home. Tink spent the afternoon with the G.A.'s working in our church's food pantry. I really hadn't had a chance to talk with her and since some of our friends were baptized tonight I asked her if she's thought any more about getting baptized. For those of you who don't know, Tink prayed to accept Jesus into her heart a few months ago and Jeremy and I have been working with her and praying with her to make sure she fully understood what this meant. I can assure you, she understands it more than I do I believe. It's amazing some of the answers she gives and the questions she asks. Her main drawback to "walking the aisle" and getting baptized is that everyone will be looking at her. I have to say this is understandable. There aren't many of us who wouldn't shy away from standing in front of hundreds of people. But she knows how important it is and really wants to do it. So we're praying with her about it.
So back to my story... I asked her about tonight and what she thought and she reminded me of the reason we get baptized. Once we ask Jesus into our heart He forgives us of our sin. We take Him into our heart and He takes our sin on himself. He died on the cross for the sins of OURS. We get baptized to show that we are washing away our life of sin and putting on our new life...our life in Christ. After she explained all of this again to me(I ask the questions...she provides the answers) she asked "Mommy, what happened to all of those people who died before Jesus was born? Did they go to the devil?"
O.K. my six year old came up with that one. Yes, I've asked that question myself but I know it wasn't until adulthood. So my response, "That would be an excellent question for you to ask Daddy when he comes to lay down with you." How did I do?? I am so very blessed to have such an amazing man of God as my husband. I ask him questions all the time and if he doesn't know the answer he knows where to find it. So I quietly sneak into Man-Man's room (where DH is tucking him in) and give him the heads up. In a few minutes he comes to our bedroom and leaves with two Bibles (different versions). They're still back there right now! If my six year old is asking these types of questions now...what will she be asking at 16? I can't wait! God is working in her life and I know he is in all of ours.
So I guess I was in a mood to write tonight. I know I rambled and my grammar and sentence structure is horrible...but it's my blog...I can do what I want. If you made it this far then kudos to you. Thanks for sticking with me. I'm exhausted and ready for bed. Good night and God bless you all!
Jill
1 comment:
I hate I missed Bro. Greg's sermon Sunday. I've been meaning all week to listen to it online. I think I may try to get it on my ipod so I can listen while I run tomorrow. We'll see...the Fall Fest about wore me out tonight! :) Thanks again for all your help!
Post a Comment