Pages

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Everything is O.K.!

We went to our Pediatrician yesterday and he felt that the Dr. in the ER should have done a CT scan on Princess Sunday. He checked her out and we both agreed that she needed a scan since she was still vomiting. One note, the on-call nurse that I spoke with at 7 that morning stated that "persistent vomiting" was vomiting every 10 minutes and getting worse. Dr. Joe was floored at that statement. He said that "persistent vomiting" was throwing up more than once in a period of a few hours. And when you're talking about a 13 month old it's even more dangerous. That just goes to show that if you don't feel like you're being told the correct thing, keep asking and checking. Mother's know if something feels right or not.

So Dr. Joe scheduled a head CT on Princess and DH came home to go with me. We've been through CT scans before. When Tink was 24 mos. old she fell out of a chair and passed out...twice! The ambulance was called and she had to be strapped to the back board in order to go in the ambulance. I was 8 months pregnant with Man-man. This was horrible. She was screaming, "Mommy, Mommy!" and all I could do was smile and try to make her feel better. Then when we got to the hospital they had to strap her down again for the "tunnel" which is what she ended up calling the CT scan. I couldn't go in with her due to my pregnancy so DH had to handle it. I don't think I could have done it.

Now I had to face this fear again. Princess is only 13 months but she still is old enough to know that she is being strapped down and her mommy can't do anything to help her. It was horrible again. To see your baby go through something like that is just the most hopeless/helpless feeling. You know it's for their own good, but at the same time you'd do anything to stop it.

I guess I see a little clearer how our heavenly Father feels about us when we face trials. His heart breaks to see us suffer but He also knows the end result. He sees the bigger picture and "we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose". We must remember to put our faith and trust in Him alone because I don't know the way. I don't know what's best. Only He does and I'm so thankful that I'm not in control.

So we had the CT scan at about 130 and the ladies in the hospital said the Dr. should be notified by 4. So we waited until 4 and I started calling. Usually our nurse is good about calling us back. Not this day. I called 3 or 4 times and then they closed at 5. I called the poor after-hours clinic and told them the situation and let them know in very nice but serious terms that I WOULD find some answers out soon. Lucky for them, our Dr. was on-call last night. so within 5 minutes Rhonda called back and said that the scans showed nothing abnormal. Princess was perfectly fine. Praise our Lord!!!! It has been a very long couple of days but we were all able to sleep well last night and boy did we need it!

Thank you for all of your prayers and calls of support. We have an amazing church family and we're so blessed with such wonderful friends from all over! You are all amazing and we love you so much!

Jill

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Just a question...did you go to Batson? I was in the ER last month and they tend to CT scan any kid that has even a hint of something odd after a fall. My guess is it wasn't Batson but I could be wrong. SO SO glad that your baby girl is okay! You were right to follow your mama instinct.

Jill said...

Yes, we were at Batson! There was an older lady Dr. that was taking care of us. She stated that she was around before CT scans were available and that we shouldn't just scan every child due to the radiation exposure, etc. etc. I agree that scans are used too often a lot of times but when it's a 13 month old who throws up in the ER in front of you and you can't ask her if she has a h/a, etc. I think it should have been done. But that's hind sight and I'm a nurse...I should have known better. Thanks for checking. She was a nice Dr. and I appreciat her not wanting radiation exposure if it's not warranted. But Dr. Russell was pretty upset that she didn't get scanned. He thinks (based on the way I described her) that it was Nancy?.?. He said she is probably one of the best Dr's there but that she was wrong in this case. Oh, well. We all make mistakes. Praise God it's all over.

Unknown said...

Wow, surprised! I guess it depends on who is on. Yeah, it does sound like Dr. Wahl. You're right you do have to think about radiation but not when a baby is throwing up after falling. Anyway, I'm glad she's better now.