Pages
Sunday, April 8, 2012
President Joyce Banda
Malawi has a new president and the people seem happy. Last night as I was closing the curtains I heard cheering and pops from fireworks and rifles in the streets of Lilongwe. At first I wasn't sure if they were good cheers or rioting like those that we heard just last July (when 19 people were killed). However a quick call to mom (who has been following the story more closely than even I have been) revealed that Malawi had just sworn in a new president, Joyce Banda. Joyce Banda was the vice-president of Malawi but had recently been at odds with President Bingu and she was kicked out of the party that they represented. However she was never relieved from her position as VP. There was a period of time after the former President Bingu died where there was concern as to whether the transition of power was going to follow the constitution (which would put Banda in charge) or whether some would seek to put someone from the President's own party in charge. Here is more detailed info at this link. With the swearing in of President Banda the people of Malawi seem relieved and happy. There is much to accomplish and fix in Malawi. The country is hurting and has a long road to travel. But we continue to pray the Lord's blessing upon Malawi and her beautiful people.
Labels:
New President
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment