Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Tragic loss at ABCCA

We just never quite know when the Lord is going to place a person, event, or situation into our lives that can open the door to sharing the gospel.  Each day we should look for it and even expect it.  I must admit, I do not.  I was caught off guard this morning but thankfully my Savior wasn't!

I always get to school about 20 minutes early and so do a couple of my students.  I have learned that they are usually the ones with all of the information and it's usually correct.  How they know so much about the world I just will never know.  Anyway, two of my kids came in first thing this morning and told me that a 3rd grade girl died last night.  I was stunned.  My first instinct was to not believe them.  But I knew better.  I went to the hall and asked a group of teachers and none of us had heard anything.  About that time another teacher came up and confirmed the worst.  Alicia had died early this morning due to Malaria.

While I didn't have the chance to meet Alicia during the 2+ weeks we've been at school I knew that all of my children would know her and need comfort.  I was so shaken up and taken off guard that I almost lost it a few times.  But I wanted to remain strong for my children.  First thing this morning we shared.  We talked about Alisha and who knew her and how they were feeling.  We discussed times that they shared with her.  We then went around the room praying for her family and for God's hand over those who were mourning.  During the prayer 3 of my Malawian students started wailing loudly.  I knew this was a Malawian sign for grieving.  I wanted to let them grieve in their own way so I helped them get to the bathroom and wash their faces off.  They then were able to receive counseling and comfort from our school secretary who is a Malawian as well.

Back in the classroom I felt led to share Christ with the children.  I point blank asked them, "if you were to die today do you know for sure that you will go to heaven?"  Most of them raised their hands.  I asked how they knew.  From there I was able to share the ABC's of becoming a Christian and led them in the sinner's prayer.  Now, I'll never know if any of my children accepted Christ or even understand what I was trying to tell them.  But I knew the Lord was telling me to take this opportunity to tell them and to plant the seed.  I told them that THIS is why I am here!  I didn't move to Malawi, Africa to teach them Language Arts and History.  I moved here to share the gospel with them and grow them in their faith.  There is nothing else more important.  I told them to come and talk to me or any other teacher at the school if they need counseling or have any questions.  Another teacher (a Malawian teacher) came in later that morning and shared the plan of salvation as well.  So my kids heard it twice today.  I pray they heard and will follow through if the Lord is tugging on their hearts.

What a solemn day it has been!  We pulled through and prayed a few times today for our strength and comfort.  God is good!  The school is closed tomorrow for the funeral.  In Malawi there are few things more important than funerals or weddings.  Culturally, it was the appropriate thing to do to close school. Please pray for our school, our teachers, and students!  Pray that the Lord will do a mighty work through this tragedy.  To quote our headmaster with a phrase he makes the students repeat at chapel each Friday morning: "God is good all the time. All the time God is good."

Jill

No comments: