Pages

Friday, February 8, 2008

Return from the Stone Age

O.K. I know I haven't posted in a while...and there's a reason. We have a very nice, yet very old computer that sometimes can't keep up with the new, fast-paced, high-tech world. We have a dinosaur from 1998. DH is great with computers and has basically rebuilt this one with all of the new high-tech stuff in it. But it has a problem connecting to the cable modem when the computer is turned off. (At least that's what I think is happening). All I know is that we had some terrible wind up here last Tues. (10 days ago) and the power went out for about 1 second. It was enough to shut down our computer and it took until today for it to decide to reconnect to the internet world.

This really made me realize how much we rely on computers and email to communicate. I mean, I had to watch the local and national news to know what was going on. I'm so glad I don't have to do that on a regular basis. We're so spoiled. I used the internet the first time while I was in college and now I can't remember how I got along without it. This invention has totally changed our world. I mean think about it. We don't have to have the latest editions of the Encyclopedia Britanica sitting on our bookshelves for our children to write reports out of. In one click they know more about Abe Lincoln than any encyclopedia or library could ever tell you. I remember that to write a book report or essay in the sixth grade I had to write my essay on unlined computer paper. In order to keep the lines nice and level I had to use a lined sheet of paper that had the lines marked in black and paper clip that paper to the back of my unlined paper. Does anyone else remember having to do this? These are things our kids will never understand...or do. Oh, I'm just reminiscing here....I'll post some pics later since that's what y'all want to see anyway! Love you guys!

Jill

No comments: