In order to show you a little more about the wonderful school that we are now part of I thought I'd take my camera and snap pics as we went through the morning routine. The morning at Rainbow Christian School starts with morning devotions and prayer time. Lucas leads the Bible devotion and Nasson translates into Chichewa for the younger ones. After devotion prayer requests are received. The prayer requests are so sweet and from the heart. Usually prayers are lifted up for someone sick, a former missionary, a traveling friend, or any other worry on the children's minds. Then collectively the prayers are lifted towards heaven aloud.
After prayer and devotion we have the Pledge to the Bible and the Pledge to the Christian flag followed by the singing of the Malawian national anthem.
Then its off to class. Below is a picture of my class. I have 14 children between the ages of 4-8. We are learning preschool/kindergarten material like colors, letters, numbers, shapes, etc.
These children are in the next level up and are around 9 years old. Karen teaches them while I'm teaching the younger ones. This is one of 3 different classes and age groups that Karen teaches on a daily basis. There are also older kids that do a type of individual pace work but they currently have no teacher of their own.
Besides the obvious need for more teachers another big need is for desks/tables in the classroom. It's hard to maintain correct penmanship while writing on the floor.
Electricity is also a big need. There is no electricity in the school except for one small room. None of the other rooms (including the big room that is used for morning meeting) have electricity.
Working on letters and numbers with a small white board that I happened to have at home. All of the materials that I use to teach with come from my homeschooling supplies that were brought with us.
AJ is such a great helper! She loves teaching and taking care of the kids. Who knew when I picked up these simple place mats one day at Wal-Mart years ago that they would be used to teach these precious children their letters and numbers.
The school is small and there is much need. But we've been so blessed with the Lord's abundance and we're grateful for everything that we do have. There are over 50 kids who are learning about Christ and His love on a daily basis and that is ultimately the most important lesson of all!
More photos of the older kids and their classes to come...
Jill













No comments:
Post a Comment