Pages

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

First tooth (teeth)!








You know, I don't remember loosing teeth being such a big deal when I was little. I mean, I remember losing a couple of them. In first grade I was kicking leaves during recess and thought it would be cool to do a high "Pride of the Tide" type kick (think Rockettes for those of you not from Picayune). I kicked my front tooth out. O.K. it was loose anyway but I remember it miraculously landed right in my hand. Other than that I remember mom threatening to tie my tooth to a door handle and slam it a couple of times but that was it. I'm sure she remembers more.

I have not had any memories of my kids losing teeth until Friday. Tink has had a couple of loose teeth for a while. One was so ready to come out that I didn't see how it was still hanging on. I had a dentist appt. on Friday so I took Tink with me. She loves going to the dentist and since her appt isn't for another month I let her go. After Dr. Everett checked my teeth I told her about Tink's first tooth. She asked Tink if she wanted to trade seats with me so that she could get a better look. She told Tink that she had "sleepy jelly" that she could rub on the tooth and make it not hurt anymore. Before I knew it I was asking for a camera so that I could take before and after pictures. One quick shot with Dr. Everett's camera and that tooth was out!

Well, I knew that Tink's two big teeth were already coming in behind her baby teeth and Dr. Everett knew she needed more room. Yep, more sleepy jelly and the next minute the other tooth was out. This one hurt quite a bit. I felt so bad for Tink because she had no idea what she was getting into. This wasn't even her appt. The second tooth was just slightly loose so the root was still very much intact. Sleepy jelly only goes so far and she hurt for a while. Now somewhere in the middle of this I did what any guilty parent would do and kinda started promising things to Tink to get her mind off of what was going on. So not only did the tooth fairy leave a VERY generous first tooth (teeth) gift under her pillow but I had to also immediately go get her a vanilla frosty from Wendy's (per Dr's orders) and I had to go to Wal-Mart and pick up High School Musical 3 which she didn't even know had come out on DVD earlier that week.

Well, that was the end of the traumatic dentist visit. Poor thing...I'm afraid she may have to have another pulled in March when she goes back. Her big teeth are just coming in faster than her baby teeth want to leave. Of course, I have NOT mentioned this to her. Oh, what a visit that's going to be. She won't be fooled the next time.


Jill

1 comment:

Dee Dee said...

That sounds pretty exciting! Emma's toothless on top with her bottom ones just coming in. One's a bit crooked, but I'm hoping it will straighten out in time. On the up side, she's learned to whistle with those top teeth missing!! :-)